Meg's (Ad)Ventures

Monday, March 02, 2009

Splash O' Color

I've always felt that white walls were okay to have in a house if you used bright accent pieces or small walls to provide balance. That is just what we did when we moved into our house 3 years ago(!) this month. But, lately I've had an itch that I just couldn't get rid of and finally decided that I must give in...and drag Chris along with me too!

One Sunday afternoon a few weeks ago, I made my way down to Home Depot and brought home several small jars of paint and a paint brush. I wasn't sure what I wanted to paint, I just knew I wanted some color in our bedroom and bathroom (to start) and eventually (as in,maybe summertime) the rest of the house. I marched inside with my three colors and splashed them up against one of our bedroom walls. The goal was to live with the colors for a few days and go from there. Ironically, of the three, we only chose one and made a bold move with an accent color purchase without testing it first!

Over two weekends, we tackled the bathroom and bedroom. It feels like a brand new space and we love the two new rooms. But, after staring up at our bedroom walls for a few nights, I felt the need to push further. The first two rooms were easy enough how hard could the rest of the house be? With President's Day off, I started to bring the color into the living room. I quickly discovered that this was going to be no small feat whatsoever. At some spots, the ceiling is nearly 20 feet!

I decided to attack this space in small chunks and am now about 80% done! I have one stairwell wall and the south living room wall (it's the biggest one) left to go. Other than that, that's it! I can't believe how much our home has changed as a result of a simple, soft color on the walls. Check out our pics below. Keep in mind, when these pictures were taken, there was a lot of stuff still "under construction" and I am not in my finest blog photo attire. :)

One side of the living room.
Peek-A-Boo! The New Bathroom!
P.S. I took those flower pictures. :)
Our Bedroom
Up high in the stairwell.
Nearly Finished.


8 comments:

Debbie said...

This is amazing!!! Beautiful job, you two!

xoxo,
Mom Debbie

southern daze said...

You rock! I love the idea of painting but can never seem to follow through. Halfway into the project and I just can't focus anymore. Luckily my mom & step-dad were there to help me finish. Since you're such an expert now, want to come to ours next :-)

p.s. Your flower pictures are awesome!

Andrea said...

I Loooooooove new paint! I agree - it totally makes a space feel brand new. In a not-so-new house like ours, it's a great fix for a dull feeling.
Of course, I have the luxury of using the pregnancy card for Tom to do all of it right now - and you bet I'll take advantage of that one!!
Looks great.

Anonymous said...

Nothing like a fresh coat of paint to make things new again. But to paint the whole house!! Very impressive. So jealous of your weather. Sofia is getting so grown up.

Momma Mia

Aunt Judes said...

You,HGTV DIVA,you!! Design on a Dime has nothing on you!! Love it and you all..Aunt Judes

Anonymous said...

I love it! I have some tall walls that are in desperate need of painting... are you for hire?!?! I'm too chicken to do it myself!

Anonymous said...

Is that a Mark Young ladder!
Penni

Kim said...

Wow, those are tall ceilings, I am afraid of heights, so my stairway will always remain the color it is right now. I love your blue bathroom, we chose a color that is almost the same for our living room.