Meg's (Ad)Ventures

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Day 20: A is for AVID

There are definitely benefits to working in a school with one of your best friends. Not only does it make the day fun with quick visits in the hallway or copy room, but also, a genuine openness to try new strategies and tools in the classroom exists.

My friend Dawn is quite possibly one of the most talented teachers I have ever seen. She is creative, brilliant, rigorous, relevant in her instruction, and genuinely cares about the success and future of her students. That being said, Dawn is always willing to try new things to help her students gain an edge in education.

Today, she let me come and work with her 6th, 7th, and 8th AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) students so that they could learn how to use Google Docs. This is where my thanks come into play. First of all, spending a day watching my friend truly make teaching into an art form was simply awe-inspiring. I learned so much just from watching her! So for this, I am thankful. Beyond the observation, I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to share and teach kids something that I am truly passionate about. The kids were energetic, interested, and could hardly contain their excitement to play with Google Docs themselves!

It's teachers like Dawn that truly make a difference in education. She models what it means to try new things to her students and is honest about the challenges ans rewards that come from taking risks. I am lucky to have her as a friend and honored to be able to teach in her presence. 

2 comments:

Julie Bursey said...

Very cool! Dawn is awesome. :) You're so right though, it is nice to have friends at work! Someone to share it all and learn with. Love it!

GPA said...

Nice to have friends to work with. I really miss that - you are very lucky!