Meg's (Ad)Ventures

Friday, December 04, 2015

Why I Don't Do Guilt

It's been an insane week....travel, speaking engagements, parenting, friending, networking, trainings, wifing, learning, and decorating Christmas trees. As of my last post, I had written 84 consecutive posts of daily gratitude. My goal was one year.

Oops. 

I was feeling really guilty about not writing the last few days but then I decided I don't need to "do" guilt....especially when I have done nothing but invest in the growth of others and myself over the last week; when I have set an intention of servant leadership and gratitude in all encounters. 

Nope. I'm not doing guilt this time. I found moments each and every day this week where I was immensely grateful for the people and world around me and so look forward to sharing these memories with you over the next few days as I recount specific events here on the blog.

However, this moment is an excellent reminder of how important it is to release ourselves of guilt for reasons that are beyond our control. I feel like, as a woman and working mother especially, that guilt is sometimes equivalent to the shirt I put on each day. It's almost as if there's this societal norm to tell yourself you can do anything but when you can't do everything, you should feel bad about it. You shouldn't. Ever. It's a stupid weight we put on ourselves. And why?

How about we change the conversation so that we teach ourselves and model for our young ones that you really can do anything. With planning and the right mindset. You can do anything with support, thoughtfulness, delegation, and prioritizing. Through these steps, the extras and bugs on the windshield of life, if you will, filter out so that the "anything's" really do become everything. Now wouldn't that be cool?

That is the kind of message I was my daughter and son to receive. 

For now, I am going to close my eyes and fall asleep immediately. This is something that only happens for me when my mind is calm and I can be at peace with where I am in the world today. 

And I am.

And for this, I am grateful.


No comments: