Meg's (Ad)Ventures

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Deep Thoughts (or nothing like it)

As I sit in Fluid this morning enjoying my vanilla latte and Everything bagel, I can't help but be distracted by...everything! (I bet you thought I was going to say something profound.) I came down to Fluid so that I could do some studying while I got a caffeine jolt before meeting Chris on his lunch hour today to run errands. Let's just say that the fact that I am writing right now is an indication of how well my studying is going. And so, here are some of the thoughts that are keeping my mind busy beyond the world of science...

(1) Did you know that Denver has more pets per capita than any other city in the country? Yes, it does! Everywhere you look, there is a dog that suspiciously looks like its owner, a shop that sells the latest in dog/owner apparel, and just in case you forgot, doggie bag dispensers to take care of that oh so pleasant, doggie business. It is really quite funny to see just how serious people are about their dogs here and how much they are included in daily activities. There was even a doggie/owner half marathon a few weeks ago! The scary thing is, the dog phenomenon is totally contagious and I literally beg Chris for a dog almost every day. Something has seriously gotten to me! (Blame it on the altitude, Meghan. Blame it on the altitude.)

(2) While showering and getting ready this morning, I listened to a local radio station. At one point, they stopped the morning gab to do a traffic report. I have been trying to pay attention to the traffic reports as I have a 30 minute commute to my new school. I realized as they were giving the report that I don't think I will ever get stressed out as I drive. Here in Denver, most of the streets are named after places and people. "Florida and Santa Fe are running smoothly this morning." Close your eyes and you are there! Good thinking on the part of the city planners who named the streets!

(3) I talked with my new principal yesterday and had a great conversation about the upcoming school year. I really feel like he is going to be an incredible mentor as I begin my career as a teacher. We have talked several times since I was hired and each time Dr. Poole gets more and more excited about his staff as the hiring processes comes to a close. He informed me yesterday that outside of the Cadre (department heads) no one on the staff has more than 5 years experience. "This is the most talented and brilliant group of individuals I have ever met." he said to me as we talked. I am so excited!! To add to that, Dr. Poole also told me that there is at least one person from every major college in Michigan! It is such a nice feeling knowing that there will already be a common ground between so many of us on staff. I will be on a team with two department heads and another young teacher who has been teaching about 4 years, so I feel very honored to have been matched with such an experienced group. On top of the mentors on my own team, I will also be assigned a mentor who I will get to meet with on a weekly basis to talk about anything on my mind. I get to meet everyone next week on the 25th and I can't wait!! Oh geeze, what to wear?

(4) Last and final thought. I am really stressed about this test on Saturday because a lot is riding on it. The test covers a much broader spectrum of science than what I had to do in Michigan, thus, the frantic review of all my college science courses. I have been using a study guide which has helped a lot. Nonetheless, I cannot shake the anxiety of the situation. If you remember, please pray for clear thought and a calm mind on Saturday morning as I enter my test at 7:30 a.m. (that's 9:30 a.m. for you Michiganders). I would really appreciate it.

Alright, my bagel is gone, my coffee is almost finished, and just in time, because I have run out of things to say. I guess that means it's back to the books! Have a most excellent day!

P.S. Check out the website for Fluid Coffee Bar! It's awesome! www.fluidcoffeebar.com

2 comments:

southern daze said...

Thank you for letting us have a glimpse into your life! I love hearing your thoughts and what's going on in the Daniel household. It makes us feel much closer to you both -- hard to believe there are so many miles between us.

You will be brilliant on Saturday, just like every day. Just remember to have confidence in yourself and everything else will fall into place!

Juno said...

Enjoyed browsing your blog. We've been thinking of moving to Colorado ourselves--and we already have the dog!

Of course she's so odd looking no one recognizes her as a dog. Still . . .