Meg's (Ad)Ventures

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Sky Vista Here I Come!!!!!

Last night, 26 people sat in amazment and wonder in a room where laughter, smiles, and ease were omnipresent. It was the first time that the new staff for Sky Vista was called together to meet and let me tell you - IT WAS INCREDIBLE! This has got to be the most talented group of educators I may have ever encountered and I feel so humbled to be a part of it. The night began with mingling and quiet introductions. Soon after, we were to find the members of our team (there are 4 teachers per team at Sky VIsta) and do the typical get-to-know-you activities. There is only one eighth grade team and so instead of just standing around and talking, we slipped into a side room of the clubhouse and played a couple games of 8 and 9-ball pool! We laughed hysterically but all instantly connected. When our principal walked in, he almost dropped his drink he was laughing so hard. He barely managed to get out, "I wouldn't have expected anything less from this group!" in between laughs. Carrie, the math teacher and department head, LeeAnn, the Language Arts teacher, and Dan, the social studies teacher and department head and I are a PERFECT fit for one another. Simply amazing!

After our team activities were done, the entire staff gathered for a once-around of introductions (name and subject teaching). There had been some comments about the adult beverages provided for the party so I knew just what to say when it was my turn: "Hi, my name is Meghan Daniel and I will be teaching 8th grade science. P.S. I bartended my way through college. So, next party, I'm your woman!" I got instant cheers from the staff which followed for requests for "another round" for the rest of the evening in humor.

When it came down getting to business, everyone instantly got serious. We were all there because we love kids, believe in kids and know that every child deserves the very best education every day. We have a lot of amazing things planned for just this summer to prepare us for the school year - one being Advanced Placement training for the entire staff. Their goal, every middle school student should be able to exit middle school and be able to not only walk into an AP classroom and do well, but also KICK BUTT! Because every classroom is designed to be a gifted and talented classroom, this training is very important. You will never guess what I am getting trained in - PHYSICS! I started laughing when I saw it. I also found out last night that I will be responsible for teaching sex education. Cue the laugh again. I never thought in a million years that I would end up being the "sex ed teacher". Such is life...

Oh no! I have to be to work in 3 minutes! Good thing I life right across the street!!! More tomorrow...

2 comments:

Andrea said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Andrea said...

Gosh, Meg- It sounds like you have quite the Utopian life. Glad you are enjoying everything with your new job and everything out in CO.