Meg's (Ad)Ventures

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Day 206: U R Poop

Ahhhh, the wonderful world of teaching!

Today, my students had technology orientation in my class throughout the day. Part of today's session included practicing sending an email using our new district email system. Everything was going super well until one of my students ran up to my desk in the middle of the practice time.
Student: Um, Mrs. Daniel. I think I just sent you an email but I'm not totally sure. Can I look?
Me: OH! You mean, this one? The one that says, "u r poop"?
Student: Oh good. It got through.
Me: Do you understand that this is inappropriate? (trying not to laugh)
Student: (Standing there with a blank look.)
Me: Alright then...Let's just consider this your one and final warning before you lose all emailing privileges. 
Yes. That really happened. I couldn't have made that moment up if I had tried! Just to be fair, this student has a great sense of humor and is very, very kind -- as are the rest of my students this year. I'm going to chalk this one up to a momentary lapse in pre-pubescent male frontal lobe functioning. :)

So what am I thankful for? Well, there's the obvious moment of laughter in the middle of a congestion and coughing-filled day. But the thing that I am most thankful for is that I get to work with this little student for the next 179 days. I get the sacred opportunity to spend time with this little one to shape, mold and develop his thinking into that of a competent young student -- who won't ever send an email with the message, "u r poop" again. :)

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Thanks for the grin from the land of middle school, honey! Your kids are so lucky to have you!

GPA said...

That is toooooo funny! She will sometime realize how lucky she is to have you as a teacher!