Meg's (Ad)Ventures

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

An Almost Ted Talk

Someday, I would love to have the honor of giving a Ted Talk. To be part of the community that helps inspire millions of people to do good in this world would be beyond comprehension. I keep track of ideas that come across my mind that might serve as interesting topics and often imagine what the experience would be like. 

I want to be part of something greater than me. I want to lead and inspire. I want to inspire others to lead and inspire! :)

Today, after I finished a training with a group of 57 teachers and principals, I had a surprising encounter. As I was packing my bag, there was a tap on my shoulder. It was a man, a teacher, who had sat through the previous 2 hours learning with me. This is what he said:

"I wanted to say hi and give you some words of encouragement. Your job is hard! I want you to know that our entire table was in awe. We came to the decision that we didn't feel like were in a training. We felt like we were at a Ted Talk!"

I was floored. Of course I thanked him and shared with him how one of my life goals was to someday give an actual Talk. He continued...

"After what we heard today, I have no doubt that will happen. Your passion is palpable and your tone and vocal inflection make you exciting to listen to."

Oh my. 

I have never in my life received such a compliment in regards to my presentation and speaking skills. It touched my heart. 

Most importantly, I knew I had done my job. I came to those teachers to inspire them to action; to be part of something that will change the face of education. 

And they heard me. 

I have a long way to go before my Ted Talk dream comes true but today was certainly a step in the right direction. 

I absolutely love leading and learning. 
And for this, I am thankful. 

No comments: