Meg's (Ad)Ventures

Sunday, November 08, 2015

It's Not a Party Until Caulk's Involved

So we decided to do a little project. And by little I mean huge. 

We are always working on ways to make our house more functional, improve efficiency of spaces, and bring in cool designs. For a while now, we've wanted to make some changes to the back entry to our house. It is a perpetual tornado of shoes, bags, and papers with no organization whatsoever. It drives me crazy. 


There's a little shelf just next to the garage door (not pictured) that serves as the tower of computer bags, mail, and kids' papers. Chaos. 

When we first moved in, we had all kinds of ideas of what we could do to this space but over the last two years, other things have taken precedent. But this weekend, I'd officially had enough. While Chris and I sat at the dining room table planning out supplies and costs to work on our basement-finishing project, I suggested that we might first solve a need and immediate view versus a want and lengthy project. 

Bless Chris's heart. He agreed to switch gears for me. AND, we came up with an idea that not only will change the storage issues but also will extend a gorgeous paneled look throughout the dining area and back hallway. I'm pumped. 


There weren't any pre-made panels with the dimensions and designs we were looking for so we decided to DIY this bad boy. Chris and I teamed up from math skills to sawing to nail guns and caulking. 

We still have a few days left of work but I'd say we made a pretty good dent in this project. I'm SO excited to see how this all comes together. Tomorrow brings the last of the vertical boards, corner trimming, and the framing of closet space with a bench. I may get to work on our family dream board chalkboard wall too. Painting of the panel-styled walls is still a few days away. 



I'm so glad to have a partner who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty with projects. All those years of helping my dad on projects haven't hurt me either!

I love when ideas become reality through teamwork. And for this, I am thankful. 



No comments: