Meg's (Ad)Ventures

Tuesday, September 08, 2015

A Shared Holiday

While I'd like to think that my birthday qualifies as a major holiday, today we observed a much more exciting and anticipated celebration: The First Day of School!

My kids are flippin' adorable. Seriously. We took the obligatory front porch shot:

3rd Grade and Young 5's
...and then, I took the obligatory, "don't-take-my-picture-in-the-bus-line" shot. Mom: 1 Sofia: 0




Nico was his usual self: ready for any kind of action...and a little miffed that he was going to have to wait one more day before he could ride the bus.


Watching them this morning was absolutely surreal. They've turned into little people; picking out the perfect outfit, agreeing to lunch menus, practicing phrases to include new kids at school and make them feel welcome....moving about their morning as if they've been this self-sufficient for years.

I realized very quickly that this very special morning was just about the best birthday gift ever. Why? It's hard watching your kids grow. I wish I could stop time at least 63 times a day. However, if watching them grow into kids who can lean into the world with grace, kindness, security, and confidence...well then I hope they grow to be 10 feet tall!

Sharing my 35th birthday with a momentous day for the kids wasn't so bad. In fact, it was pretty awesome.

And for this, I am thankful.

No comments: