Meg's (Ad)Ventures

Thursday, September 10, 2015

A Step In The Right Direction

My job provides me the incredible fortune of working with people who truly make a difference in the lives of kids. Currently, my team and I are working with an organization that provides services through schools to students who are homeless.

Today, I listened in awe as stories were shared of students overcoming unimaginable adversity to go on to college and thrive into adulthood. I also listened as it was explained to me the gross lack of funding that exists to support homeless youths in schools. Liaisons have little "cred" and families in need often go uniditifed or uncommunicated to the powers that be. It was sobering to hear.

My team and I are working on a project that has the capacity and the tenacity to change this! Improving communication, professional learning, and opening the door to resources to work with struggling families is just a small piece of what our project will accomplish. It is SUCH exciting work. Impactful work.

While this certainly won't be the magic bullet for ending homelessness amongst kids, it is certainly a step in the right direction.

And for this, I am thankful.

No comments: