Meg's (Ad)Ventures

Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Day 213: So Apparently I'm Not Perfect

At some point, something is destined to slip through the cracks...

Let's review:

A few months ago when I enrolled Sofia at her new school, it was up in the air as to whether or not she would continue in preschool full time or move into kindergarten. You see, Sofia is in the special group of kiddos that will forever be difficult to place in grade levels because of her birth date. Long story short, last I knew, preschool it was!

Until today.

Today was the first day of school and as I held down the lump in my throat and kept a smile on my face, I overheard the teacher introduce Sofia to her classmates as "their new friend in the kindergarten class". Say what?!? Sofia was now scheduled to spend her mornings in preschool and afternoons in kindergarten.  We hadn't event talked the slightest bit about kindergarten with her! How did I miss this detail? I seriously felt like such a schmuck.

The first day of school, real school, is supposed to be a milestone marked by skips to the front door of the building, chats about what the day would hold and a big, cheesy grin just before entry. Yes, we had our talks and Sofia was excited to go, but when it came time to mark the occasion, this is what I got instead: a "No thank you!" in response to my asking to take a photo of her first day. Perfect.


Needless to say, the first day of school went off without a hitch. My little master chameleon fit right in with her new classmates and routines. She was all smiles when I picked her up and ready to go back again tomorrow. In the end, this is all I can hope for!

And for this, I am thankful.

1 comment:

GPA said...

She looks so CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!