Meg's (Ad)Ventures

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Day 230: Marvin and the DMV

Is there ever a quick trip to the DMV? I'm not so sure and I always dread having to go. Today was no different. Having to purchase new license plates for my car due to a freak highway semi-truck tire versus my minivan exchange, I was hoping I wouldn't have to spend too much time in the most comfortable waiting room in the world. But when I discovered there were nearly 100 people who had numbers to be called before me, I kind of lost all hope of being able to enjoy any part of the rest of my day off.

I found a chair, pulled out my iPhone and began reading one of my favorite online newspapers. The elderly man next to me sighed and I looked up. I knew from that moment I would be OK with waiting when he leaned over and said, "I know I told my wife I'd grow old with her, but I might just age next to you instead." I laughed and what ensued was a 2 hour conversation where we shared stories of everything from our spouses to children to careers and even travel. It was absolutely delightful and a great reminder that unique, kind, wonderful people can be found in nearly every corner of our world -- even the DMV!

Today, I survived what could have a long, unbearable afternoon thanks to a gentle spirit named Marvin. I will never see him again, but that's ok. It was a nice afternoon. And for this, I am thankful.

1 comment:

Rob said...

this is a great little story!

Don't forget to root for state tomorrow as they face Central!